Lisp object that refers to a C struct

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Lisp object that refers to a C struct
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2012 23:24:59 +0200

What is the recommended method of getting a Lisp object that
represents a C struct?

It seems like a pseudo-vector is used for this, but in my case it
looks like an overkill: my struct has no Lisp members.  All I need is
a Lisp object that will serve as descriptor for the struct, and that
can be used to extract a pointer to the struct, for C code to access
that struct.

There's Lisp_Save_Value, which looks very promising, but why does its
documentation say it's for record_unwind_protect?  Is there anything
in it which would preclude its use outside unwinding?