Re: Is the Cygw32 port ready for testing?

From: Nix
Subject: Re: Is the Cygw32 port ready for testing?
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2012 00:45:55 +0100

On 17 Oct 2012, Stephen J. Turnbull said:

> Eli Zaretskii writes:
>  > > Reading symbols from
> /home/kbrown/src/emacs/test-w32/src/temacs.exe...done.
>  > > warning: File "/home/kbrown/src/emacs/test-w32/src/.gdbinit"
>  > > auto-loading has been declined by your `auto-load safe-path' set
>  > > to "$debugdir:$datadir/auto-load".
>  >
>  > If you want to debug Emacs conveniently, you need to take care of that
>  > "warning", because you do need GDB to load .gdbinit.
>
> "source .gdbinit" will do the trick.

Alternatively, putting

set auto-load safe-path /

in your ~/.gdbinit will turn off this dubious 'security' feature
entirely. (Has any system *ever* been taken over by a hostile .gdbinit?
I suppose if you have hostile local users who are looking for really
obscure ways to screw you up, and routinely run gdb in /tmp or in their
home directories the feature has some value. But how often does *that*
happen? And isn't it likely that such a user would pick an attack vector
more likely to be hit? Bah.)

--
NULL && (void)