Re: Byte compiler and eval-when-compile

From: David Engster
Subject: Re: Byte compiler and eval-when-compile
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2012 20:55:57 +0200

Stefan Monnier writes:
>>> Actually, it just recovered the smartness I added many years ago and
>>> which got broken years ago as well.
>> Just to make sure I understand this right: the byte-compiler will now
>> bark if you're using functions (instead of just macros and defsubsts)
>> from eval-when-compile'd required packages?
>
> Yes, at least that's the intention: IIRC the implementation is pretty
> approximate, so it may very well miss some such functions and complain
> about unjustified ones.

Could you maybe take a look at the end of eieio.el? I don't understand
why the compiler warns that `eieio-update-lisp-imenu-expression' is
undefined (he actually always did that, not only since your last
change). I'm also not sure what's the fix here - why did you wrap the
check for (boundp 'lisp-imenu-generic-expression) in an
`eval-when-compile'?

[It's not really important, but I'm curious. :-) ]

-David