Re: Lisp object that refers to a C struct

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Lisp object that refers to a C struct
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2012 18:09:46 -0400

> It doesn't.  I meant the need to manage the table itself, grow it when
> needed, etc.

To me "table" doesn't imply "array".  It's just some kind of
data-structure that keeps the elements at hand.  It can be a list, an
array, a tree, a has-table, you name it.

>> (BTW, is this table usable by Lisp, e.g. can they get the list of
>> current file-watchers?).
> Yes, it's an alist.  But it currently isn't exposed to Lisp, neither
> as a variable nor via an API.  It could be, of course.  But since
> RĂ¼diger didn't, and since we didn't discuss in detail how this feature
> will be used from Lisp, I didn't want to introduce APIs whose
> necessity is not clear.

Note that if we use integers instead of a new type, we can't free
those structs when the Lisp code loses the last reference to the
file-watcher.

> Call w32_valid_pointer_p, and in addition verify that the struct
> pointed to by it has the correct magic signature.

Why is that needed?

Can you give a precise description of your alist?

        Stefan