Re: (Not) scrolling past the end of a buffer

From: Romain Francoise
Subject: Re: (Not) scrolling past the end of a buffer
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2012 18:31:52 +0200

Jorgen Schaefer <address@hidden> writes:

> Emacs' scrolling behavior allows for a window to move past the end of a
> buffer up to the point where the last line of a buffer is the only
> thing displayed. This can be useful for editing, but it is unexpected
> behavior for modes that interact with other programs.

> Based on the behavior of terminals, the expectation and preference
> there is that the input line would remain at the bottom edge of a
> window as long as there is enough data to be displayed.

That's a matter of taste. One of the strengths of Emacs is that it
provides a unified user interface for many different activities, and some
people find it annoying when modes go out of their way to make their
buffers behave differently.

Personally I don't want my shell-mode buffers to start behaving like
terminals, because they're not. The whole point of shell-mode is to allow
users to interact with shell input/output as if it were normal buffer
text.