Re: GNU ELPA visibility

From: Daniel Hackney
Subject: Re: GNU ELPA visibility
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2012 12:29:09 -0400

(I just joined the list, so I can't reply with the original message-id.
This is a response to
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2012-10/msg00723.html)

Dmitry Gutov wrote:
> Tassilo Horn <address@hidden> writes:
> > It would be good if every package would at least complement Version and
> > Summary with a longer description, a link to its homepage (or emacswiki
> > page if it has no homepage), and the date when it was updated the last
> > time.
>
> You may find that, for single-file packages, even if they provide an
> extended "Commentary" section, it will not show up in the
> "list-packages" interface. At least when distributed over MELPA or
> Marmalade.

The problem is with those repos. They don't create a
<pkg-name>-readme.txt file. It's particularly strange for Marmalade,
since the content which would go into the readme is displayed on the
website (though not in <pre> formatting) but isn't available through
`list-packages'.

> I think it's fixed in Daniel Haxney's package.el fork, though.

Sorry for the confusion (my choice of domain could be clearer), but my
last name is "Hackney", not "Haxney". The domain name "haxney.org" is a
play on "hacks" => "hax" (sometimes used in videogame-speak) and
"Hackney". Also, the username "haxney" is available on every service I
have ever come across.

I was careful not to make any changes to the HTTP and file-based APIs in
my branch, so if a repo doesn't provide a readme, then my branch can't
do anything about that.

--
Daniel Hackney