RE: 2 annoying questions for `find-alternate-file`

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: 2 annoying questions for `find-alternate-file`
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2012 18:27:33 -0700

This annoyance was commented on in July (this thread).  A bug (#12487) was
independently filed for the same annoyance in September.

Neither the emacs-devel thread nor the bug has been replied to yet by our
maintainers.  This was a very bad change to Emacs - contrary to all good sense
for a UI.

The confusion it introduces will cause users to _lose data_.  I, for one, have
almost been tripped up by it multiple times, in spite of the fact that I am well
aware of it now.

Can we please get this awful change reverted or otherwise reversed/fixed?
Several reasonable comments and solutions have been proposed in the bug and
emacs-devel threads.  Why is it so hard to get something so simple and so
obviously wrong fixed?

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2012-07/msg00431.html