Re: alpha support for colors

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: alpha support for colors
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2012 19:43:01 +0200

> From: aaditya sood <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2012 05:02:56 +0000 (UTC)
>
> If I wanted to start work on it:
>
> 1. Where should I begin?

By publishing the proposed APIs and the use cases you want to support.
What you said until now is not detailed enough, IMO.

> 2. Is it even do-able in terms of complexity, or will it touch the fabled and
>     scary redisplay engine?

If all you want is a way to create faces by alpha-blending other
faces, then the display engine doesn't need to be touched at all.  The
display engine doesn't care about faces, they are just small numbers
as far as display is concerned.  The part that does care are the
terminal-specific back-ends: xterm.c/xfns.c, w32term.c/w32fns.c, etc.
That is where you will need to make changes to introduce support for
alpha.

However, since I don't really understand what features do you want to
support, the above might miss the point completely.