Re: GNU ELPA visibility

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: GNU ELPA visibility
Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2012 08:42:55 -0400

>> I.e. we need to replace the READMEs with more structured files which
>> can be easily turned into acceptable HTML (no need to be fancy, here)
>> as well as easy to render acceptably in Emacs (extra bonus points if
>> that same format can end up being used as a replacement for Info ;-).
> Org can be exported to HTML, Plain text (ASCII) and texi.

So far, Org, ReST, Markdown, and Texinfo sound like the best
options, indeed.

Texinfo requires an extra step (generate Info) before rendering in Emacs
but has the advantage that this rendering already exists and that
Texinfo is the standard GNU documentation format.  It has its
weaknesses, but it's a tool we know (i.e. which is why we already know
its weaknesses).

I'd be interested to see some sample rendering of Markdown, Org, and ReST
both in HTML and inside Emacs, for comparison.

        Stefan