Re: GNU ELPA visibility

From: Daniel Hackney
Subject: Re: GNU ELPA visibility
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2012 03:12:46 -0400

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> I.e. we need to replace the READMEs with more structured files which
>>> can be easily turned into acceptable HTML (no need to be fancy, here)
>>> as well as easy to render acceptably in Emacs (extra bonus points if
>>> that same format can end up being used as a replacement for Info ;-).
>> Org can be exported to HTML, Plain text (ASCII) and texi.
>
> So far, Org, ReST, Markdown, and Texinfo sound like the best
> options, indeed.

Put another vote in for Org. Aside from shipping with Emacs
out-of-the-box, all of its incredibly advanced stuff could come in handy
if we want to get fancy down the road. I'm thinking about the embedded
source code, which could be very useful as examples of the usage of a
library. Other formats allow for <pre> equivalents, but none have the
features of Org-babel. More generally, Org has an enormous ability to
store machine-extractable data (in its headers) and much more flexible
formatting. I think it is a no-brainer.

If you wanted to get crazy, you could distribute entire packages as
Org-mode files and unpack them with `org-babel-tangle' ;)

--
Daniel Hackney