Build problem: Error: symbol `pread64' is already defined

From: Burton Samograd
Subject: Build problem: Error: symbol `pread64' is already defined
Date: Sun, 04 Nov 2012 10:44:35 -0700

Hello,

I'm trying to build the current emacs git HEAD on one of my machines (Centos
5.8 on a VM host so I can't update it to a newer version) and I keep getting
the following error:

gcc -std=gnu99 -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I/root/src/emacs-git/lib -I../src
-I/root/src/emacs-git/src      -g3 -O2 -MT careadlinkat.o -MD -MP -MF
.deps/careadlinkat.Tpo -c -o careadlinkat.o careadlinkat.c
/tmp/cc2jQqUg.s: Assembler messages:
/tmp/cc2jQqUg.s:122: Error: symbol `pread64' is already defined

>From what I can see this looks to be an issue with my libc headers (unistd.h
>most directly I think) .  The glibc on this  system is 2.5.81.el5_8.7 and I've
>recently done a 'yum update' to the current release for this Centos version.

I've done a side by side comparison of the section of unistd.h on two machines,
one a current Ubuntu and the Centos one that is having problems; they are
almost close to identical with only a 'if defined' guard that should have
nothing to do with with the systems I am running on (I hope).

I've also updated my gcc to 4.7.2, the current release.

Any ideas on what might be causing this build problem on this specific machine
and not others?  This isn't just with the current HEAD, but it's been going on
for a few weeks now; I'm just finally getting around to reporting it.

--
Burton Samograd