Re: Proposal to improve the nomenclature of scrolling directions

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: Proposal to improve the nomenclature of scrolling directions
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2012 10:25:49 +0900

Nix writes:

 > (Even on mobile devices with touchscreens, where you swipe the text
 > to move the text up, that operation is *still* called 'scrolling
 > down'.)

Which drives me nuts, because it's the text that moves (and that's
true in editors, as well).  For me it's "page down" but "scroll the
text up".  "Scroll [nothing in particular but Do What I Mean dammit]
<direction>" is just uninterpretable to me. ;-)

I don't really care if you invert the names in Emacs, but I would
prefer using a verb other than "scroll" that strongly implies moving
the viewport (eg, "page") over a given buffer.  I have less problems
with paging fractionally (eg, measured in lines) than with scrolling
viewports (reminds me of the door in Howell's Moving Castle, or if you
want a less fantastical illustration, the new paging look in Mac
Finder or Safari on an iPhone where the content changes as the
viewport scrolls).

From-the-Rick-Moen-Dept:but-maybe-that's-just-me-ly y'rs,