RE: Proposal to improve the nomenclature of scrolling directions

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Proposal to improve the nomenclature of scrolling directions
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2012 07:17:52 -0800

> If PageDown is generally understood as the name for what C-v does, it
> seems to me we could give that command the new alias `page-down' and
> bind C-v to that.  Users would find it clear by reference to what
> PageDown does in other programs.  The Emacs Manual use that
> name to document the command, but the existing name could remain
> valid.

Bad idea.  "page" in Emacs function and variable names has a meaning that
revolves around the use of form-feed (^L) as a page delimiter.  That makes it
easy to use `apropos' or completion (e.g. with substring matching) to show you
such names.

Co-opting "page" for this very different meaning (scrolling one screenful or
some other amount) creates false positives, weakening this feature.  And it can
otherwise confuse users.