Re: Proposal to improve the nomenclature of scrolling directions

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Proposal to improve the nomenclature of scrolling directions
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2012 20:49:18 -0500

> (This model is also why I use Eli Barzilay's wonderfully simple
> scroll-in-place implementation, which I really should contribute to
> upstream Emacs one of these years: I had Eli's go-ahead nearly two years

Hadn't heard about it.  I just looked at
https://github.com/elibarzilay/eliemacs/blob/master/include/scroll-in-place.el
and IIUC all it does is to remember the previous positions during
a sequence of scroll commands, and to use them when scrolling back.

This sounds OK indeed.

It could also be used to let the user go back to where she was before
scrolling (to simulate those other editors where point is not moved to
stay visible while scrolling, so that non-scrolling commands teleport
you right back to where you were).

        Stefan