Re: Proposal to improve the nomenclature of scrolling directions

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: Proposal to improve the nomenclature of scrolling directions
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2012 12:09:35 +0100

> If you could describe what change are you looking for, and how not
> displaying point might help with scroll-in-place like behavior, I
> might be able to help.  (Sorry, couldn't read all this longish
> thread.)

`scroll-in-place' means for them to keep the cursor at the same position
of the screen regardless of whether there's any text at that position.
In practice, this can be currently implemented only with the help of an
overlay as with Kim's cua-rect.el.  Obviously, if we are able to not
show the cursor (Emacs on Windows currently lacks this capability IIUC)
no overlay is needed.

martin