Re: problems with flet on last emacs

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: problems with flet on last emacs
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2012 14:12:24 +0000

On Fri, Nov 9, 2012 at 7:23 PM, Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:
> ELPA.  Similarly, a forward-compatiblity cl-lib.el may appear on ELPA

Aha cl-lib.el, ok, ok could be worse... I'd thought of adding my own
to yasnippet, but this is nicer of course.

> You could help write the cl-lib.el forward-compatibility package.

Could, but not likely. I've barely time to fix yasnippet bugs, I'd
rather forward this to Roland Walker, who's been contributing the
yasnippet compatibility fixes. He might want to help, just have to ask
his email, is he on this list?

>> What about `labels` and other common-lisp macros and defuns?
>
> `flet' is special in that it was a weird beast

Agree. But don't forget that some of the weirdness might be in
use by libraries. Yasnippet, as I inherited it, uses that dynamically
and globablly fsetting behaviour to mock functions. Not a big deal to
change, but there might be other libraries that do.

So to summarize: there is going to be a forward compat lib, 'labels'
and 'dolist' and 'mapcar' and such are still valid for some time to
come. 'flet' is going away now, and 'cl-flet' will provide the same
weird behaviour with a nicer implementation.

Thanks!
João