Re: Proposal to improve the nomenclature of scrolling directions

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: Proposal to improve the nomenclature of scrolling directions
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2012 19:49:54 +0100

> I didn't realize there's a requirement to display a cursor when point
> is scrolled out of view.  Why is that needed?

It isn't when you make the "don't show the cursor feature" available from
Elisp.

>> The `point' (and region) handling part is a different issue.  I'd
>> strongly suggest to separate this from the display part.
>
> Sorry, I'm confused: what does region handling have to do with this?

Currently, when I highlight the region and scroll the original position
of `point' off-screen (using `scroll-bar-toolkit-scroll'), the region
changes.  When I scroll the original position back on-screen, the region
is hardly where it was before.

> And how can you separate the point handling from this issue, when
> window_scroll_pixel_based explicitly moves point?

The display engine would not show the cursor in that case.

martin