Re: [corrector(s) needed] doc/lispref/internals.texi tweaks

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [corrector(s) needed] doc/lispref/internals.texi tweaks
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2012 15:47:26 +0200

> Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2012 15:20:47 +0400
> From: Dmitry Antipov <address@hidden>
>
> There are some bits for doc/lispref/internals.texi, which looks a bit
> outdated and incomplete...

Thanks, some comments below.

> address@hidden member contains the subtype enumerated by @code{enum pvec_type}
> +and an information about how many Lisp_Object fields this structure
                                     ^^^^^^^^^^^
"@code{Lisp_Object}", since that's a C symbol.

> +First entry means that the internal size of a cons cell is 16 bytes, there
> +are 50589 used cons cells and 8907 conses are on the free list.  Likewise

I don't understand why you replaced a @table with free text.  A table
is much easier to read and traverse.  I suggest to use a table, just
with updated info.

> +Miscellaneous objects at @var{misc} includes markers and overlays plus

@var is inappropriate here (and in the @example), as "misc" etc. are
not formal arguments or references to other symbols; they are literal
strings that appear in the output (unlike in the original @example,
where they stood for numbers).

>                                                   Finally, the last member
> +means that the total heap size is 14654 Kb, and 2363 Kb of them are free.

I think you should mention that this part appears only on some
platforms, otherwise some readers might think the manual is in error.

> +others, like markers and buffers, are quite special and needed to provide
> +the basic support to write an editor commands in Lisp.  To implement such
                              ^^
Lose the "an" part here.

> +a variety of object types and provide an efficient way to pass objects
> between
> +the subsystems of an interpreter, there is a set of C data structures and
> +a special type to represent the pointers to all of them, which is known as
> +tagged pointer.

Whenever you introduce a new term, it is best to use @dfn, as in
"@dfn{tagged pointer}", the first time you use the term.  This makes
the term stand out.

> +and placed into a 3-bits bitfield of the @code{Lisp_Object}.
                     ^^^^^^
"3-bit", without "s".

>                                                            The rest bits of
> address@hidden is the value itself.                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"The rest of the bits"

>                                           Integer values are immediate, e.g.
> +directly represented by the rest bits, and all other objects are represented
> by

I would use "value bits" here, like this:

 Integer values are immediate, i.e.@: directly represented by those
 @dfn{value bits}

> address@hidden union Lisp_Misc
> +Miscellaneous kinds of objects which doesn't fit into any of the above.
                                        ^^^^^^^
"don't"

> +frames, and processes falls into this category.  The rest of special types,
                         ^^^^^
"fall"

> +including markers and overlays, are enumerated by @code{enum Lisp_Misc_Type}
> +and forms the set of subtypes of @code{Lisp_Misc}.
       ^^^^^
"form"

> +recursively place other windows on the same frame.  (Do not confuse Emacs
> Lisp
> +window object with the window as an entity managed by the user interface
> +system like X; in Emacs terminology, the latter is called frame).
                                                                  ^^
This period should be inside the parentheses.