Re: file://host/location URLs

From: James Cloos
Subject: Re: file://host/location URLs
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2012 19:58:50 -0500

DC> In fact, I really don't see why file:// URLs should go through
DC> url-handlers.el at all. A file URL should be a simple pass-through
DC> to the normal file handler machinery, yes?

Only file:/// or file://localhost/ should point to the local
filesystem.  file://example.org/foo.bar is a valid uri to some
resource on example.org using some (unspecified) access method.

Whether emacs still should handle URIs of that form, and if so
how, are /interesting/ questions.

(Back in the day, ftp /was/ the correct answer.  Perhaps not any more?)

-JimC
--
James Cloos <address@hidden>         OpenPGP: 1024D/ED7DAEA6