Re: file://host/location URLs

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: file://host/location URLs
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2012 00:27:00 +0900

James Cloos writes:

 > Only file:/// or file://localhost/ should point to the local
 > filesystem.  file://example.org/foo.bar is a valid uri to some
 > resource on example.org using some (unspecified) access method.
 >
 > Whether emacs still should handle URIs of that form, and if so
 > how, are /interesting/ questions.

The question is whether file://remote-host/ URIs are out there in the
wild.  (Stefan and Daniel, you guys should be ashamed of yourselves,
users are unlikely to use file: themselves -- so especially in that
situation Emacs should DTRT *for* them.)

 > (Back in the day, ftp /was/ the correct answer.  Perhaps not any more?)

I would hope that "emacs file://host/foo" is equivalent to "ssh host
emacs file:///foo".  For ftpds running in a chroot, that won't be the
case.  So I would prefer scp or ssh to FTP here.  (Why, yes, We Are
Not Human, We Are TRAMPs!)