Re: Emacs24 coding system problems

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs24 coding system problems
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2012 23:07:21 +0200

> Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2012 19:06:28 +0000
> From: Uday Reddy <address@hidden>
> Cc: Uday Reddy <address@hidden>
>
> Thanks for all the responses to this problem.

Sorry, I only remember very vaguely what this was about.

> > Or maybe the file in question has undecodeable byte sequences.  Do you
> > see "t" (which stands for 'raw-text') in the mode line, per chance?
>
> The files are normal unicode text.  But, they appear as sequences of octets,
> as if they were visited by find-file-literally.
>
> There is `t' in the modeline.  `buffer-file-coding-system' is getting set to
> `no-conversion', whereas normally it is `utf-8-unix'.

't' is not no-conversion, 't' is raw-text.  I wonder what is going on
there.  Is there a file and a recipe from "emacs -Q" I could try to
reproduce this?

> I have made some progress on narrowing down the problem.  It happens only if
> VM is used along with emacs-w3m for displaying the HTML content.  Without
> emacs-w3m, everything works fine.

If this is so complicated, then the only way to track this down is to
set breakpoints on the C level where buffer is decoded
(decode-coding-region, I guess), and see what happens there and why.

> If you would like to take a look at what w3m does, here is a linke to the
> main file:
>
>   http://cvs.namazu.org/Development/emacs-w3m/w3m.el?view=log

I doubt that this would be efficient, this stuff you are using
probably needs a lot of setup.  If you cannot find a simple recipe,
then GDB is your friend.