Re: document cygwin-convert-path-{from,to}-windows?

From: Daniel Colascione
Subject: Re: document cygwin-convert-path-{from,to}-windows?
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2012 18:45:24 -0800

On 11/18/2012 6:37 PM, Stefan Monnier wrote:
>>> cygwin-convert-filename-to-windows, and similarly for the other one.
>>> IOW, replace "path" with "filename".
>> But the functions convert directory names too.
>
> You clearly need to (re-)read the GNU coding standards.

The GNU Coding Standards are silent on the topic except for the following
sentence in section 6.1:

"Please do not use the term “pathname” that is used in Unix documentation; use
“file name” (two words) instead. We use the term “path” only for search paths,
which are lists of directory names."

The document could be clearer on what to call names that can refer to either
files or directories. (FWIW, I find "path" the least confusing option, and I
find names like "directory-file-name" confusing.)