Re: Emacs24 coding system problems

From: Uday Reddy
Subject: Re: Emacs24 coding system problems
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2012 08:43:42 +0000

Eli Zaretskii writes:

> Sorry, I only remember very vaguely what this was about.

The problem is that once Emacs24 is used with VM along with emacs-w3m, then
from then on Emacs24 reads every file "literally", i.e., doesn't recognize
the coding-systems and dos line-endings.

> > > Or maybe the file in question has undecodeable byte sequences.  Do you
> > > see "t" (which stands for 'raw-text') in the mode line, per chance?
> >
> > There is `t' in the modeline.  `buffer-file-coding-system' is getting set to
> > `no-conversion', whereas normally it is `utf-8-unix'.

Sorry, that was a serious typo.  I mean tto say there is *no* `t' in the
modeline.

> If this is so complicated, then the only way to track this down is to
> set breakpoints on the C level where buffer is decoded
> (decode-coding-region, I guess), and see what happens there and why.

Yeah, I was afraid of that.

Cheers,
Uday