Re: file://host/location URLs

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: file://host/location URLs
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2012 20:54:56 +0800

Daniel Colascione <address@hidden> writes:

> Yes, my proposal violates the RFC. I maintain that nobody deliberately
> constructs file URLs pointing to remote hosts

I do it all the time.  Windows has a well defined default protocol for
accessing remote files on named hosts, and such URLs mostly work (they
even used to work on Emacs IIRC until url-handler came along and started
forcing them over to FTP).

GNOME, KDE and others may also have mechanisms for dealing with remote
file URLs that we could use.