Feature request: other-previous-window

From: Miguel Guedes
Subject: Feature request: other-previous-window
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2012 15:17:54 +0000

This is a request proposal for a very simple feature: the twin brother of other-window.

I often keep multiple windows open in my always maximized Emacs frame, rarely ever less than 2 and usually 3 windows tiled vertically. Having an inverse to other-window would be a blessing as I often need to jump from a window in one extreme to the other (skip the window in the middle.) When moving forwards (other-window), this is not a problem. However, sometimes I find myself at the leftmost window in need of moving to the rightmost window.

In other words, if in a given instance of Emacs there are windows A B C, being able to quickly and effortlessly jump from A to C would be great.

Being a complete newbie to ELISP I don't know if the following code is up to ELISP standards practiced by the Emacs devs but I suppose it is a starting point at least:

(defun other-previous-window (count &optional all-frames)
  (interactive "p")
  (other-window (* count -1) all-frames))

(define-key ctl-x-map "p" 'other-previous-window)

--
Miguel