Re: Emacs24 coding system problems

From: Uday Reddy
Subject: Re: Emacs24 coding system problems
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2012 07:58:06 +0000

Stefan Monnier writes:

> Maybe you can try to debug-on-entry of set-buffer-multibyte (tho many
> calls are done from C, so won't be caught).

Thanks, Stefan.

There was only call made to set-buffer-multibyte from find-file-noselect-1.
The argument was t.

Tracing through find-file-noselect-1, I found that `rawfile' was set to
nil.  Then there is call to `insert-file-contents'.  When it returns,
enable-multibyte-characters has been set to nil.

Trying out various revisions of the Emacs trunk, I have narrowed down the
problem to the revisions between Sean Seager's builds 2/14/11 and 2/21/11,
i.e., roughly between trunk revisions 103261 and 103379.

Four commits in this range had changes to multibyte issues:

  103273
  103292
  103304
  103338

The first two seem to be refactorings.  The third one is only dealing with
allout.  The commit 103338 might be the one that is interfering with
emacs-w3m.

Cheers,
Uday