Re: Emacs24 coding system problems

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs24 coding system problems
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2012 18:06:12 +0200

> Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2012 10:44:26 +0000
> From: Uday Reddy <address@hidden>
> Cc: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>, address@hidden
>
> False alarm.  I managed to get the trunk to build on Win32.

I'm confused: is this problem specific to MS-Windows?  I don't think
you ever mentioned Windows in this thread before; did I miss
something?

> I can't get the revision 103292 to compile.  It gave an error
>
> xdisp.c: In function 'decode_mode_spec':
> xdisp.c:19589:14: error: 'buffer_file_type' undeclared (first use in this
> functi
> on)
> xdisp.c:19589:14: note: each undeclared identifier is reported only once for
> eac
> h function it appears in
> mingw32-make[2]: *** [oo-spd/i386/xdisp.o] Error 1
>
> I am trying the neighbouring revisions.

Uday, this isn't the most efficient way of finding the bug.  It will
waste a lot of your time and energy on overcoming unrelated problems,
especially since 103292 is such a mega-changeset.

The most efficient way is to debug the _current_ codebase.  Not to go
back to prior versions, but go forward.  We are not interested in
finding bugs in past versions, we are interested in finding current
(and future ;-) bugs.

So let's revisit your last finding.  You said:

> Tracing through find-file-noselect-1, I found that `rawfile' was set to
> nil.  Then there is call to `insert-file-contents'.  When it returns,
> enable-multibyte-characters has been set to nil.

The logical next step is to find out what happened during the call to
insert-file-contents.  The most probable suspect is the call to the
function after-insert-file-set-coding.  insert-file-contents calls it
after reading the file into a buffer, in order to find the appropriate
coding-system to set the buffer's buffer-file-coding-system.  Can you
see what happens inside after-insert-file-set-coding?