Re: Emacs Mac port

From: Jan Djärv
Subject: Re: Emacs Mac port
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2012 05:32:44 +0100

Hello.

It would help if you specified the colors used in the screenshot exactly. Then we could at least compare colors for X11 and Nextstep.

    Jan D.

26 nov 2012 kl. 22:46 skrev chad <address@hidden>:

On 26 Nov 2012, at 12:38, Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:
I know some people prefer the MacPort over our NS port (and vice-versa),
but I don't know that the difference can be such that the NS port is not
even an option.
Of course, maybe I just forgot about it.  Do we have a bug-number(s) for
the corresponding problem(s)?

I had hoped to try to merge some of the mac port changes after
the last round of discussion indicated that merging was, let's
say unlikely. Aside from reliability issues in both ports (which
I assume are bugs to be hunted and killed as normal), I think the
biggest issue is the color space and font handling. Whether or
not this bothers you depends on your personal settings, in my
experience - when I first started looking into this, I used a set
of colors and fonts that really didn't show any important (to me)
differences between the two, but I have since started using a
zenburn theme that really highlights the issue. I'm including a
clipping that I hope illustrates the issue, with the mac port on
the left and the ns port on the right.

I'm hoping to take another shot at merging display approaches
when the ports line up again for 24.3, but I wouldn't wait anyone
to rely on me - I'm not familiar with the subsystems involved,
and my free time is sporadic.

I hope this helps,
~Chad

<emacs-diff.png>