Re: Submitting a custom theme for GNU Emacs 24

From: Fabrice Niessen
Subject: Re: Submitting a custom theme for GNU Emacs 24
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2012 22:38:09 +0100

Hi Dmitry,

Dmitry Gutov wrote:
> "Fabrice Niessen" writes:
>> Please find attached a custom theme (with a light background -- one of the
>> few) that I'd like to see included in Emacs 24.
>
> Here's some feedback on the theme, if you don't mind:

A first, quick but late, reaction. No, of course, I really don't mind at all.
On the contrary, I'm willing to get as many reactions as possible. That does
not mean I'll apply them all, but you always can try to convince me.

> 1) For the most part, the colors look good, the mode-line looks rather
>    modern, at last.

Thanks. Yeah, very nice mode-line, IMHO, both the active and the inactive one.

> 2) The red color of the comments looks grating, hard on the eyes.

I like that. I can try to find alternative tints, but please know that I'm
fond of comments, and consider them as one of the most important part of the
code. I mean, when they are some, they often are very important to be read.
Hence, more a choice in the direction of the red, than in the direction of the
light gray -- as often done.

> 3) The gnus message window looks very uneven.

Yes, apparently, we don't use the same good-looking fonts. What fonts are you
using? On which system?

One problem may come as well from the fact I mixed (on purpose) proportional
and non-proportional types of fonts for the different elements of the mail
header. Maybe that's not such a great idea...

> 4) The helm buffer looks rather bizarre.

Can you be more precise?  Are you talking of the different colors depending on
the type of files?  Are you talking of the inverse video used for the current
(highlighted) line?

> For 3 and 4, see attached screenshots.

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,