Re: clang/emacs/ecb/semantic

From: Burton Samograd
Subject: Re: clang/emacs/ecb/semantic
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2012 09:02:09 -0700

>     GCC can also produce debug information in Dwarf format, i.e. nonfree
>     debuggers can be used with GCC.
>
> Yes, of course, but you've changed the subject.  The subject is this:
>
>     > Part of the reason why clang/llvm weakens our commnity, compared with
>     > GCC, is that the clang front ends can feed their data to nonfree
>     > tools.

Is not the production of executable binaries that run on nonfree
operating systems the 'feeding of data to nonfree tools'?

Where does one draw the line regarding the various forms of output of
gcc/binutils?  It seems AGPL covers the output from the program; if gcc
was AGPL could it's output binaries only be used by GPL operating
systems as well?

--
Burton Samograd