Re: clang/emacs/ecb/semantic

From: joakim
Subject: Re: clang/emacs/ecb/semantic
Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2012 02:04:13 +0100

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>>> Reducing functionality can *never* serve the cause of software
>>> freedom.
>
> While I'm not sure we can say that in absolute terms like you do,
> I generally agree with you that I do believe it hurts the Free
> Software movement to self-inflict restrictions in this way.
> [ I'm thinking of restrictions such as the FFI thingy for Emacs.
>   BTW, now that we have the green light for the FFI, I really would
>   be delighted to see movement on this front.  ]

Well, it seems rational to review past choices now and then.

IMHO the risk of someone combining a non-free compiler backend with a
free frontend is not great today, which maybe it was at some point in
time. I base this on observations of the companies I work with.
So the policy to not merge the mentioned features might have provided
benefit to the project at one time, but not so much anymore.

--
Joakim Verona