Re: clang/emacs/ecb/semantic

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: clang/emacs/ecb/semantic
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2012 09:21:36 -0800

On 12/04/2012 06:05 AM, Miguel Guedes wrote:

> I understand your wish to ensure free software remains
> free not matter what, but restricting the freedom of users
> of free software should not be the solution; in fact this
> sounds like a contradiction in itself.

  We all declare for liberty; but in using the same word
we do not mean the same thing.  With some, the word
liberty may mean for each man to do as he pleases with
himself, and the product of his labor; while with others
the same word may mean for some men to do as they please
with other men and the product of other men's labor.
Here are two, not only different, but incompatible
things, called by the same name, liberty.  And it follows
that each of the things is by the respective parties
called by two different and incompatible names---liberty
and tyranny.

  The shepherd drives the wolf from the sheep's throat,
for which the sheep thanks the shepherd as his liberator,
while the wolf denounces him for the same act, as the
destroyer of liberty, especially as the sheep was a black
one.  Plainly the sheep and the wolf are not agreed upon
the definition of liberty.

-- Abraham Lincoln, Address at Sanitary Fair, Baltimore,
   April 18, 1864.  Above quote is transcribed from
   Lincoln's Complete Works (Nicolay JG, Hay J, eds.),
   New York, The Century Co. (1920), volume 2, page 513.