Re: selected-frame and selected-window

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: selected-frame and selected-window
Date: Sat, 08 Dec 2012 18:51:40 -0500

>> > This is assertion violation in redisplay_internal, here:
>> >       eassert (EQ (XFRAME (selected_frame)->selected_window,
>> >                    selected_window));
>> > This crash is probably of the kind you reported in the past, related
>> > to the selected-frame/selected-window issues.
>> I'm not sure is that assertion is actually right.
> Well, "bzr annotate" says you added it ;-)
> Should we just go ahead and remove it?  Inaccurate assertions are a
> maintenance headache, to say nothing of user aggravation.

The rest of my message mentioned reasons why the equality is
sometimes broken.  Now, I tend to consider that those cases should be
considered bugs, because IIRC there are cases where we do rely on this
equality.  More specifically, I added such easserts in an effort to
track the origin of an error.

But to fix these bugs we need to figure out how to handle the "mode-line
:eval" case.

        Stefan