Re: ELPA security

From: Nic Ferrier
Subject: Re: ELPA security
Date: Sun, 09 Dec 2012 21:00:30 +0000

George Kadianakis <address@hidden> writes:

> I've been looking into ELPA (the Emacs Lisp Package Archive) and I
> noticed that package.el provides no security of any kind. It doesn't
> do signatures, SSL, timestamps or anything.
>
> Are you actually considering deploying a system that downloads
> untrusted code from the Internet every time a user asks for a new
> package or asks to upgrade his current packages?
>
> Package management is serious business [0]. It's sad to see ELPA
> approaching the problem so insecurely.
>
> Can't you at the very least, enable HTTPS on tromey.com and pin its
> public key on package.el?

1. you're right! it isn't very secure. a few of us have been grumbling
about this for a while.

2. it's free software! you don't have to use it!

3. it's free software! you can fix it with patches!

4. marmalade repo is a free software package repository (an additional
repository to ELPA) which I maintain. I would welcome patches!

  https://github.com/nicferrier/marmalade

5. tromey.com should not be used anymore, it's elpa.gnu.org now.

Nic Ferrier