Re: Two strange messages while building Emacs on MS-Windows

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Two strange messages while building Emacs on MS-Windows
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2012 16:42:15 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> time /c/apps/emacs/bin/emacs --batch --eval '(message "Hello")'
>>
>> 0.047 s
>
> So what does this say about the efficiency of starting programs on
> Windows as compared to GNU/Linux?

It says that MS Windows is ~80% slower than GNU/Linux at running emacs
with for evaling a simple expression :-)

Serioulsy, though, Emacs does quite a few things at startup. My day to
day experience is that GNU/Linux efficiency at starting processes make a
difference when running lots of instances of short-lived programs, as,
for instance, a compiler test suite. Years ago, I worked on MS-Windows
native and on a virtualized Debian install: running the test suite for
the compiler I was working on required more than twice the time on
MS-Windows than on the Debian virtual machine.

As for emacs build times, the startup time is small enough to not make
it all that relevant while running >1000 times emacs.exe for compiling
all the .el files.

Still, I don't understand how your i7 is 90% slower than my old Q6600,
running the same OS. IIRC you mentioned that your build is unoptimized.
Mine is with default configuration, which defaults to -O2.