RE: Why is `C-x 8' limited to Latin-1 for search?

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Why is `C-x 8' limited to Latin-1 for search?
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2012 16:11:26 -0800

> > But I don't know what you mean by "except the part that changes
> > `isearch-new-string' and `isearch-new-message'.  I do
> > change both, to reflect the added char.  No doubt you had a
> > slightly different macro in mind.
>
> I meant that `isearch-edit-string' does more than needed for
> the command that will read and insert an Unicode char.  For example,
> currently it binds `history-add-new-input' to nil.  This means that
> your code doesn't add the char name to the minibuffer's history.

Yes, your macro is the same as mine, except that you do not include these 3
bindings (you use them only in `isearch-edit-string'):

 (message-log-max           nil)
 (history-add-new-input     nil)
 (minibuffer-history-symbol nil)

And you do not update `isearch-new-string' and `isearch-new-message' in the
macro itself, but outside it (in the macro callers).

> (define-key isearch-mode-map "\M-r"
>   (lambda ()
>     (interactive)
>     (with-isearch-suspend (recursive-edit))))
>
> `C-M-c' will continue the suspended isearch.

Your tweak improves the macro - my vote says go for it.

I suggest changing the name slightly: `with-isearch-suspended' (or perhaps just
`isearch-suspend').