Re: Best Way to Change Code to Use cl-lib

From: Eric James Michael Ritz
Subject: Re: Best Way to Change Code to Use cl-lib
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2012 02:11:07 -0500

(Note: My apologies for sending this twice.  The first time I forgot
to not send the email in HTML format, and when I saw it in my
newsgroup reader I realized how unreadable that made it.  So here it
is again as plain text.  Again, sorry for the noise.)

I maintain an Emacs package which currently uses cl and flet. With
Emacs 24.3 replacing those with cl-lib and cl-flet respectively, what
would be the best way to update the code? What I mean is, I want to
make the change to cl-flet to be up-to-date with Emacs 24.3, but I do
not want it to cause problems for users who have not upgraded their
version of Emacs, because I know all of them will not. Is there a
preferred way I can (or should) test for the current version and then
use the appropriate library/macro? Or should I stick with the obsolete
code and just accept the fact that the byte-compiler will give me
warnings when using Emacs 24.3? Or is there a better way that I just
don’t see?

Thanks in advanced for any help.

-- ejmr 南無妙法蓮華經