RE: search files with conversion but fundamental mode, no handlers, no f

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: search files with conversion but fundamental mode, no handlers, no file-local vars
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2012 14:01:07 -0800

> insert-file-contents does not pay attention to the mode at all, it's
> really more like `insert'.
>
> But yes, it does obey file-name-handlers, which is probably what you
> want for Tramp files, so the only potential trouble it might introduce
> is for encrypted or compressed files (tho whether it introduces
> problems depends on what you want to do in the case of such files).

OK, from what you and Eli are saying, I'm starting to think that `i-f-c' might
be appropriate for my case.  But I would like to see the doc for `i-f-c' spell
out specifically what it does and does not do.  Like the doc for `mm-i-f-c'
does.

And if the doc for `mm-i-f-c' is wrong about it being different in this or that
respect from `i-f-c', then it would be good to fix that doc too.

And if the code for `mm-i-f-c' contains some useless bindings (after all, it
calls `i-f-c'), then let's remove those, since someone looking at the code can
be misled into thinking that they are needed precisely because `i-f-c' does not
DTRT without them.