RE: search files with conversion but fundamental mode, no handlers, no f

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: search files with conversion but fundamental mode, no handlers, no file-local vars
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2012 14:47:08 -0800

> > OK, from what you and Eli are saying, I'm starting to think that
> > `i-f-c' might be appropriate for my case.  But I would like
> > to see the doc for `i-f-c' spell out specifically what it does
> > and does not do.
>
> I find the current docstring pretty clear, so you'll have to give
> more guidance.  As for saying what it doesn't do, that's
> a slippery slope.

I cannot prescribe what I do not know.  I can see that the doc for `mm-i-f-c'
mentions "file handlers, format decoding, `find-file-hook', etc", specifically
to _distinguish_ itself from `i-f-c'.

The `mm-i-f-c' doc says that it differs from `i-f-c' in that `mm-i-f-c' "only
reads in the file".  The implication is that `i-f-c' does more than just read in
the file.  What more, for instance?

> Most of the things that mm-i-f-c disables are things that apply to
> find-file-noselect (which creates a new buffer that is "bound" to
> a file),

Most, but not all?  Which?

> whereas insert-file-contents is really just about inserting
> into the current-buffer some text which happens to come from a file
> rather than from elsewhere.

Maybe say that - say that it does not involve `find-file-hooks' or whatever
might be the case.

Note that it _does_ have a VISIT argument (which I need here), which records the
fact that the buffer is visiting the file.  That, at least, is documented
(good).

> > And if the code for `mm-i-f-c' contains some useless bindings (after
> > all, it calls `i-f-c'), then let's remove those,
>
> Better ask the Gnus guys about that.  Many of the mm-* functions were
> introduced to abstract over differences between emacsen, so maybe
> XEmacs's insert-file-contents does other things.

Ask them, if you like.  I guess I should use and be concerned mainly with
`i-f-c', so my interest wrt that is to get its doc to better spell out what it
does.