Re: set-file-extended-attributes and backups

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: set-file-extended-attributes and backups
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2012 08:00:01 -0800

On 12/21/12 06:53, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> I think this problem is not Windows-specific.  So I'm asking here:
> does it make sense to fail backup-buffer and backup-buffer-copy just
> because set-file-extended-attributes fails?  I think we should ignore
> such errors

On systems where ACLs can deny access to files, failing to
copy an ACL can mean that the copy has more permissions
than the original, no?  Wouldn't that be a security problem?

As I understand it, Windows ACLs can deny access, just as
Posix ACLs can, so this issue is relevant on Windows too.

The recently-added ACL code has some security holes in
this area, doesn't it?  It's copying file mode separately
from copying ACLs.  Surely the code should just copy ACLs,
as there's a race condition now, where the file is
temporarily exposed between the times the mode and the
ACLs are copied.