Re: Git to Bzr - what works?

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: Git to Bzr - what works?
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2012 21:24:20 +0900

Bastien writes:

 > If FSF cannot have someone to do the work Ted describes,
 > maybe this could be a nice GSoC project for 2013?

It's not a GSoC project.  Many man-months have been spent on the
problem (Lele Gaifax's Tailor, work by the Bazaar developers, plus
work by the various projects on making the git-import format more
generic), and there's no satisfactory solution yet.  It might be
somewhat easier with a specific pair in mind, but there's good reason
to believe that Bazaar is the most difficult because of its much
richer metadata (including tracking both directories and few
"containers").

I dunno, guys.  I like Bazaar as little as anybody (I was the git
advocate for Python's PEP 374, I was one of the strong advocates for
git when Emacs decided to move), but I really haven't had that much
difficulty working with it in the few projects I work on that require
it.  The patterns for working with Emacs seem to be rather few and
uncomplicated.  People who like to commit directly to trunk keep a
checkout, and people who like to work on branches use the more
elaborate setup that Karl set out in BzrForEmacsDevs.  If you don't
like the bzr terminology (I don't, but they do have some claim to
using many of the terms like "pull" first), it's not terribly hard to
set up a set of aliases that does the simple work.