Re: Git to Bzr - what works?

From: Thomas Koch
Subject: Re: Git to Bzr - what works?
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2012 18:04:56 +0100

Ted Zlatanov:
> I have had similar experiences.  I would conservatively estimate it cost
> me 40 man-hours to work with Bazaar instead of Git when I was doing the
> GnuTLS integration.  I lost work several times!  Perhaps I'm an idiot
> unable to grasp the subtleties of Bazaar, but I think the *cost* of
> using Bazaar to casual contributors like me should be considered.

Just for the record. I'm just lurking on this mailing list and learning to use
Emacs. But I don't think I'll consider contributing to emacs for two reasons:

- I don't want to invest in learning Bzr. I haven't liked it before and this
blogpost[1] seems to confirm that Bzr has no bright future.

[1] http://stationary-traveller.eu/pages/bzr-a-retrospective.html

- It unsettles me that the emacs team seems to continue to use an inferior
tool for reasons of politics instead of using the best available tool.

Both reasons are of course highly subjective and controversial. I just wanted
to give the perspective of somebody who is reserved because of bzr.

Best regards,

Thomas Koch, http://www.koch.ro