RE: Unuseful keybindings

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Unuseful keybindings
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2012 08:55:19 -0800

> > There is absolutely no reason for Emacs to bind `f3' and
> `f4' by default.
>
> I have no problem rebinding `f3' to `kill-this-buffer', and `f4' to
> `dired-jump' in ~/.emacs so they work like in GNU Midnight Commander
> (now I use Dired instead of MC, but old habits for keys persist ;-)

No, they should be UNbound.  That's the point.
Your proposal is a case of "out of the frying pan and into the fire".

These keys should not just be rebound to other non-repeatable commands (by which
I mean commands that you will not typically be repeated multiple times by simply
holding down the key).

> But there is a worse macro keybinding `C-x q' bound to
> `kbd-macro-query' that prevents using `C-x q' for more useful
> commands like `quit-window'.

Different issue.  To avoid confusion it would be good to discuss that binding in
a separate thread (though the Subject line of this one is general enough for
it).

> I think this problem deserves more attention than binding F-keys.

No, it deserves less.  It does not reflect a general problem and a problem with
policy.  It's truly just about a particular key binding, and it can probably be
discussed and resolved without dealing with any fundamental problem.  Another
reason for addressing it in a separate thread.  Just a suggestion.

> Regarding `f11', the reason why it's a good change is to provide
> compatibility in Emacs between graphical displays and text terminals.
> In xterm while running `emacs -nw' typing `f11' toggles Full
> Screen mode, but on graphical displays this failed until recent addition
> of the `f11' keybinding.

Again, a pretty weak reason.  But better than what's been given so far.

There are other differences between text terminal keys and graphic terminal
keys.  And `xterm' is not all text terminals, IIUC (please correct me if I'm
mistaken).