RE: Unuseful keybindings

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Unuseful keybindings
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2012 13:43:50 -0800

> > Speaking of odd key bindings, I just noticed that `home' goes to
> > the beginning of the line instead of the beginning of the buffer.
>
> Now if `home' were bound to something like the following,
> which is repeatable, then it would be a lot more useful.
> First time: bol, subsequently: next/previous line's bol.
>
> (defun beginning-of-line+ ...
> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs-en/download/misc-cmds.el

The attached code puts useful, repeatable keys on `C-a', `C-e', `home' and `end'
in `visual-line-mode'.  The `home' and `end' actions are presumably similar to
what is done in the greater world, except that you can repeat them to keep
moving.

Repeating `C-a' or `C-e' moves to the beginning/end of the previous/next visual
line.  Repeating `home' or `end' moves to the beginning/end of the previous/next
full logical line.  For non-repeated use, everything should be the same as
usual, including the use of a prefix arg.

IMHO, these commands are what Emacs should bind to `C-a', `C-e', `home', and
`end' in `visual-line-mode'.  I've added this code to `misc-cmds.el', in any
case.