Re: Unuseful keybindings

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: Unuseful keybindings
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2012 07:32:08 -0700

On 12/23/12 9:55 AM, Drew Adams wrote:
There is absolutely no reason for Emacs to bind `f3' and
`f4' by default.

I have no problem rebinding `f3' to `kill-this-buffer', and `f4' to
`dired-jump' in ~/.emacs so they work like in GNU Midnight Commander
(now I use Dired instead of MC, but old habits for keys persist ;-)

No, they should be UNbound.  That's the point.
Your proposal is a case of "out of the frying pan and into the fire".

I think Juri meant that he does not have an issue with whatever default
binding for f3 and f4 is provided by Emacs, because he can rebind them
in his personal ~/.emacs.

FWIW, I agree with Drew's main point, that specific function keys should not
be given default bindings without discussion of the general issues.

Regarding `f11', the reason why it's a good change is to provide
compatibility in Emacs between graphical displays and text terminals.
In xterm while running `emacs -nw' typing `f11' toggles Full
Screen mode, but on graphical displays this failed until recent addition
of the `f11' keybinding.

Again, a pretty weak reason.  But better than what's been given so far.

There are other differences between text terminal keys and graphic terminal
keys.  And `xterm' is not all text terminals, IIUC (please correct me if I'm
mistaken).

Seems like a good reason to me.  Is there a policy by the Emacs developers, to
actively work to minimize the differences between text and graphic frames?

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA