Re: cl-functions do not honor common-lisp-indent-function

From: Helmut Eller
Subject: Re: cl-functions do not honor common-lisp-indent-function
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2012 17:24:29 +0100

On Wed, Dec 26 2012, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

>     Why should anything other than `common-lisp-indent-function'
>     implement the Common Lisp conventions?

E.g. to avoid conflicts: some other language might have similar but not
quite the same conventions and to avoid the risk of conflicts you
re-implement some of the conventions.

>  > > If the user thinks of these symbols as equivalent
>  > > to "real" Common Lisp standard symbols, then the user has every right
>  > > to ask Emacs to treat them as Common Lisp symbols.
>  >
>  > An Emacs Lisp user or for that matter a Scheme user has not "every
>  > right" to dictate the indentation rules for Common Lisp users.
>
> Of course users of other Lisp dialects should not dictate to Common
> Lisp users.  But I was talking about *Emacs* users.  I don't have any
> trouble imagining that some Emacs users who program in both Common
> Lisp and cl.el would like to see cl-* expressions follow the
> corresponding Common Lisp conventions.  After all, the OP is evidently
> an example.

When I'm programming Emacs Lisp I use emacs-lisp-mode and I assume that
the default indentation function, i.e. lisp-indentation-function, will
handle all relevant macros.  I fail to see why using
common-lisp-indent-function in emacs-lisp-mode is such a bright idea.

Helmut