Re: cl-functions do not honor common-lisp-indent-function

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: cl-functions do not honor common-lisp-indent-function
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2012 13:18:30 +0900

Helmut Eller writes:

 > I fail to see why using common-lisp-indent-function in
 > emacs-lisp-mode is such a bright idea.

"You fail" is precisely correct.  Nothing wrong with that, it's not
your job to think like anybody but you.  That's why it should be an
option ("minor mode", eg, cl-shadows-common-lisp-mode).

Others who habitually use cl want *their* Elisp to "look and feel" as
much like Common Lisp as possible, *including any local mods they may
have made to "standard" Common Lisp formatting conventions*.  By the
same token, it's nobody else's job to think like you.  That's why it
should be an option.  I tend to agree with you that it should default
"off", but that's up to the maintainers, and it doesn't matter much.

It is Emacs's job to adapt as well as possible to *both* opinions.
That's certainly possible here.  Add DRY, and the bright idea follows.