handling partially fixed bugs [was: Diff emails to debbugs?]

From: Drew Adams
Subject: handling partially fixed bugs [was: Diff emails to debbugs?]
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2012 08:35:53 -0800

> Somewhat off-topic because it couldn't be done automatically: what I
> do with partial fixes is to close the original bug, and mark it
> superseded by a new bug the describes the reduced scope concisely.
>
> Dunno if anybody else thinks it helps, but it does help me personally.

It would be great if it were quick & simple to do that and also have the new bug
automatically reference the closed bug.

Depending on how it's implemented, the same manipulation could perhaps be used
to split a multiple-topics bug into several smaller bugs (automatically closing
the original and adding references to the new ones).

And in bug threads (e.g. at http://debbugs.gnu.org/), related threads would
hopefully contain links to their relations.