Re: Change in rmail-insert-mime-forwarded-message

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: Change in rmail-insert-mime-forwarded-message
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2013 19:02:43 +0900

Mark Lillibridge writes:

 >     Messages stored in mbox format have lines starting with >*From\
 > escaped by adding an extra > at the front.  This escaping needs to be
 > reversed to get the original message back.  See bug #13329 for more
 > details.

It's not particularly relevant to the problem Richard is reporting,
but that's incorrect.  mbox formats vary, but the most common ones
stuff a ">" if and only if the string "From " occurs at the beginning
of a line.  If ">From" occurs at the beginning of a line, you can't
know whether it was stuffed by the MDA or by the message author or
what.

The only portable way I know to handle this involves hiding the
message text from MDAs by encoding "From" or ">From" as quoted-
printable.

Steve