Re: ELPA security

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: ELPA security
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2013 16:30:52 -0500

On Tue, 08 Jan 2013 15:50:42 -0500 Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:

>> 1) sign `archive-contents' in the cron job when it's generated into
>> `archive-contents.gpgsig' with the GNU ELPA maintainer key.

SM> Not sure this needs to be signed.  But if you want to do it, that's fine.

I guess there's no need, so OK, no signing of `archive-contents'.

>> 3.1) If GPG is not available and the ELPA archive is to be verified, we
>> prompt the user to override it once or abort.  They won't be allowed to
>> override it permanently from the prompt--they have to `M-x
>> customize-variable' to do it.  The prompt will be scary.

SM> I don't see a strong need to be scary here.  Just ask the user something
SM> like "Can't verify package signature; continue? (y/n)".

OK.

>> 5) The GNU ELPA maintainer key will be shipped with the Emacs package.el.
>> Does all of that sound good?

SM> I do wonder about key management, tho: the GNU ELPA key (note: not
SM> "maintainer" because the key does not belong to any human being)
SM> will not last for ever.

I thought the maintainers would have their own keys, and they would sign
a GNU ELPA "signing subkey" that's only used for releasing.

SM> We don't have to figure out all the details now, but it would be
SM> good to make sure that when the key needs to be replaced, we can do
SM> so without too much trouble.

Debian has good docs on this:

http://www.debian-administration.org/article/450/Generating_a_revocation_certificate_with_gpg
http://www.debian-administration.org/article/451/Submitting_your_GPG_key_to_a_keyserver
http://www.debian-administration.org/article/452/Using_gnupg-agent_to_securely_retain_keys

...and the GPG handbook talks about these topics as well:

http://www.gnupg.org/gph/en/manual.html#AEN385
http://www.gnupg.org/gph/en/manual.html#AEN464
http://www.gnupg.org/gph/en/manual.html#AEN526

Take a look.  I think a signing subkey will work, but will let you
judge.  If you think this is workable, I'll start on the code and put
together a POC.

Ted